Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Caterpillar

A caterpillar crawled up under my bedroom window and decided that it was his spot.  I'm not sure what kind of a caterpillar he was or what kind of a butterfly or moth he metamorphosed into.  What I do know is that he looked nasty and gave me creepy crawlies when I first saw him.  I took his picture and decided to document as best I could his metamorphosis.
The next day he had changed drastically.  His body was now entombed and his body systems had started their work of turning into a beautiful butterfly or moth.
I watched him everyday for more than two weeks just like in "The Very Hungry Caterpillar."  I even held off spraying for bugs so as to not disturb this little fellow's processes. Watching something metamorphose is dull as there are not conspicuous changes from day to day until the day that it decides to emerge.  Unfortunately, I missed his exit from his cocoon and found an empty shell.  The shell is still under my windowsill.  When we play in the backyard, Joseph remembers to look at the shell and announces that the butterfly is gone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ewww. That is a creepy looking caterpillar. Cool that you got to watch the process though :)